Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ecce! In pictura est puella, nomine Cornelia.

Delayed postings because Italy is just too beautiful. And Franzen's "Freedom" is taking up way to much of my time (He messed up molto facts about both St. Paul and DC, next time you're writing a novel, Mr. Franzen, please do more research than just reading the Wiki page for STP. The Star Tribune delivered to a STP address? Come on.)

Life in Roma only becomes crazier with this lovely weather we're having. Mid 60s and sunny all week. Winning.

Last Thursday was (in addition to being Saint Patrick's day) the 150th anniversary of Italian Unification. It, unfortunately, poured all day on Wednesday; the fireworks that we're supposed to go off at midnight weren't lit off but there were Italian flags hanging outside of most businesses on Marconi and little kids had their faces painted with Red, White and Green. Most billboards and flyers up around Rome somehow mentioned the unification and even though it is still a slightly touchy subject for many Italians it was very cool to be here for their cinquecentennial.

Midterms finished last week and I'm not failing anything yet (even finance! But only with the insane curve he had to tack onto all of our abysmal grades) but I'm still exhausted after cramming half a semester's worth of business definitions into my head. I'm also just exhausted. It comes and goes it waves, sometimes life here is the most amazing thing in the world and other days I just come home from class ready to crawl into bed and sleep for the next two days. Walking to class today with Alice I took off my sunglasses and let the warm Mediterranean sun wash over me. There is something about the sum here that is different from anywhere else; it's warmed, yellower, casts it's light in a more pleasing way that makes all colors brighter and everything taste better.

More importantly, the Morizio family will be landing in Roma on Saturday! I'm excited to see them all and have Daniel translate all of the Latin I can't quite seem to translate with my less than perfect knowledge I received from Brother David. We head down to Sorrento next weekend to see Pompeii  and Herculaneum and to make sure there are NO roman carriages stuck in any ditches. If we find any we will rescue all members of the Cornelii family from the million or so chapters they spent stuck in ditches.

When I went down to Pong tonight after dinner they gave me a super large cup for the usual 1.50 Euro small price and from what I understood of the conversation that took place between the woman scooping my Gelato and the owner behind the cash register they were worried because they hadn't seen me in a week or so. Crema and pinoli. So many noms.

No comments:

Post a Comment