Monday, April 11, 2011

Run it run it

I'm currently lying in bed, which is where I spend most of my time in my apartment, after opening all of my apartment's windows and listening to an accordion on Marconi play Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Life is pretty prefect.

Time here, I swear, goes faster than anywhere else. Gravity feels the same, but it must be lighter (woooo physics!) because I literally do not know where the past few weeks have gone.

The fam was in lovely Italy for 9 day two weeks ago. It was amazing. Daniel and I ran all over Rome and he translated everything for me and we all ate amazing food. Then we headed down to Sorrento/Napoli to see Pompeii.

I'm pretty fond of history, studying it has always felt very similar to how I love to study Literature, the analytics, though concrete as opposed to pure abstraction, can be viewed in similar ways and I've always liked it well enough. Tedious at time, but I can't complain.

Seeing Pompeii, completely frozen in time was something I could never have even imagined. I've seen pictures, read about the city but nothing compares to actually seeing this bustling town. I somehow don't think of Rome as ever being like Pompeii, even being down in the Forum you can't escape the noise from cars; there is still a vibrant city just across the road. Pompeii is this tiny little microcosm of what life was once life. Preserved in perfect detail, down to the frescos on the walls and the fish bones in the ground.

When I walk around Rome I don't think, and perhaps this is ignorance on my part, "Wow, someone actually was living in the structure 2000 years ago." Though I am constantly surrounded by Ancient Rome it's still abstract somehow, I can push that fact from my mind and just see the living Rome of today.

Pompeii is the polar opposite. It's life, interrupted.

This past weekend I went adventuring in Belgium where I ate far too many Frites and Wafels and in general had a lovely time. Next up is Sicily with my program before London for the Royal Wedding. Anddddddd I have some pretty fabulous people coming to visit the next two weeks. Kelsey arrives tomorrow, Sarah is in town next week, Matt was here all last week and into this one, it's all, in general, pretty rad.

No comments:

Post a Comment