Sunday, March 6, 2011

"And then away to Venice"

We've traded Beyonce for Shakespeare.

Venice is insane. The only way I can really describe it is this weird adult version of Disney World because there simply aren't words that I can use to describe this place. It's so strange. Nothing about the city makes sense. Nothing. You take boats instead of busses. Buildings literally are built up against the sea, foundations sink into the water, houses are connected by bridges. It's beautiful, incredibly beautiful and unlike any other place I've ever seen or will see.

Being there for carnival was amazing. Saint Marks square was a sea (hahaha, see what I did there?) of people, Dad and I weren't masquerading and that drew strange looks, not the other way around. People in full renaissance dress and elaborate masks were seated at tables next to us in restaurants, men had powered faces and women hid behind fans. There was music blaring in the streets/canals, dancing in the campos, it was unlike anything I've ever seen. I can't even describe it with words. It's insane. Absolutely insane.

So Dad and I ate and drank and ate some more. I introduced him to frappe but sadly it will be all gone come Wednesday. We went to Harry's Bar and drank Belini and people watched and ate such good food. It was lovely. And my train ride back to Roma today was quite; an almost nice change from the insanity of Carnival. It was amazing though. It was insane and crazy and so different from anything else in the world. And it was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment