Monday, January 24, 2011

Radio

Moment of uber culture shock.

I'm standing in the supermarket, the one a few blocks down is tiny. It's basically the size of the Eagle's Nest AU people. And it's always packed and it's always confusing. Today I wandered in with a vague outline of what I wanted to make for dinner, figure out how to purchase chicken from the butcher in the back and put together some semblance of a meal that does not center around Ernesto Sauce and pasta (though I did end up getting Pastina and what I think is chicken broth.  I'm still not sure). After almost causing an international crisis when I tried to purchase produce without weighing/pricing it first I'm terrified of buying anything. Anything.

It's such a surreal feeling, standing in this tiny little market using a plastic gloved hand to pick out pepper and spinach, totally lost to any conversations floating around you and then The Fray come on the radio. A sudden English interjection in a completely Italian world. It's bewildering, I had mentally prepared myself before leaving the apartment for a complete immersion and then it wasn't. Not necessarily a letdown but something jarring.

There was this adorable little boy named Gabriel with his father in front of me in line. The dad kept on calling the little boy "amore" and little Gabriel would come running back into line from the display of candy.

All my lovely roomies are at our culture class currently, so I spent the afternoon food shopping and trying to finally put my room together. And pretending to do my Italian homework.

So now I'm off to make what I am hoping is chicken breasts in maybe a butter and white wine sauce.  But I'm just making this up as I go. I need Matt for these elaborate meals involving complex sauces.

I'm also teaching myself how to type properly because I apparently do it incorrectly. Only one space after a sentence! When did that happen? It's infuriating.

I'm currently still in the middle of "Decoded". It's amazing, all I want to do is read rap lyrics and dissect them.

Also: Go Pack Go!

Update : Dinner was delicious. I would have taken a picture but we ate it too fast.

5 comments:

  1. Since always, loser. See: http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/

    And since when do you root for the Packers? I'm going Steelers, if only because Jared may kill himself if they lose.

    Love,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean clearly I read that article. And I love Aaron Rodgers. Love him and those blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You betray that Vikings jersey you're always banding about. HYPOCRITE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Francesca. How did I not know about your travel blog until this moment? I hope the chicken turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen I think you mean "bragging" but whatever.

    Sorry Lillie! It wasssss the box below my profile picture but they got rid of it :(

    ReplyDelete