Friday, January 7, 2011

Broken-Hearted Girl

In the odd way that the universe likes to handle itself, there has been a major snafu in the plan to send Italy's lost daughter back to the motherland.


Dad is back in the hospital.


It sucks, but this is not the forum to cry over spots on an MRI.  As of right now he's still gung-ho for me to make my triumphant return to the hills of Roma.  So I guess the five day countdown can begin again.  This is just freshman spring déjà vu.  Except I'll be living in a different country.


I ran into Barnes and Noble a few days ago on a lark and ended walking out with Virgil's Aeneid.  Honestly, I had no intention of walking into the store and purchasing that text per say, but after mulling over the new biography of Cleopatra (which I have since purchased for my Kindle, I didn't even think it was going to relate to Rome so clearly I need to revisit my Bard) I wandered over to the B&N classics section.  Being a moderately pretentious literature major I, of course, have known I've needed to read this text forever.  I've just never gotten around to it.  But after a semester of Dante basically drooling over everything this man ever touched I figured now was as good of any to read the way Augustus by way of Virgil envisioned the creation of the Roman Empire.  I just got through some bits at the beginning, historical notes, the life of Virgil, ect, but it's shaping up to be an interesting text.  And, if nothing else, it's just one more epic poem I can bring up at dinner parties.  I should have just been a classics major.


Packing Panic is making me sick.  The number of converters I think I now own is astonishing, my room is fraught with items I may or may not need in the coming months and I have visions of my suitcase being so filled with things and I'll just have to purchase an entire new wardrobe in Italy.  Like a former teacher told me last night when I was back visiting De, "Just bring an empty suitcase.  Fill it with shoes."


Thanks Mr. Casey.  You're just enabling an addict.


Update:


My Dad did indeed have another stroke.  Italy is now up in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment