Tuesday, February 15, 2011

We're all Italians now (Sorry. I've exhausted my Beyonce lyric capability)

How to live in Rome:

1) Let old ladies at the supermarket do whatever they want. Even if there is no apparent rational behind their actions they are always right. Always.

2) Whatever you do, do NOT let more than two days go by without eating gelato. Ever. It's bad for group moral.

3) The H bus is more irrational than anything ever. Do NOT trust it.

I've spent most of the my free time just wandering around this amazing city. Life is hard here - make no mistake about that - but there is something about this place that I feel so attached to. I shouldn't, I've been here a little over a month (which I cannot believe. Time must be distorted here.) and Rome is becoming more like home. It is home. The people in Pong know me by my order and the family the runs the Trattoria in our building stop and talk to us on the street when they see us in passing. The man who works the front desk of my building now returns my greetings.

This past weekend I saw the most amazing view of the city, it was on my side of the river, high up on a hill and it was breathtaking. It was like seeing the city of the first time all over again. Ancient buildings covering even more ancient hills, terra cotta rooftops that put the slate roofs of DC to shame. It's no wonder poetry comes pouring out of the poets who visit Rome, inspiration flows like water.

I'll stop being moderately angst ridden now. But like I said, it just comes pouring out of you.

This week is more school then my friend from AU Kahla comes down down from Florence to visit and I'm super excited to play tour guide. I was looking at my calendar during Finance Class today and realized I have two free weekends for the rest of the semester. Two. Either I'm going somewhere or I have people visiting pretty much solidly until the end of April. My next trip is to Venice with Papa Bear at the beginning of March. I am so excited. So so so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment