Tuesday, February 8, 2011

[Francesca] Interlude

I think, after all of this is said and done, I'll have earned the right to drop the word "Roma" into conversation as opposed to "Rome".

This weekend Alice and I played tourists. This was really the first weekend we had a chance to stay in Rome and not have something Arcadia related to do. Alice loves Roman history like I love Dante, so this weekend she was in her element and played personal tour guide for me (and Abby and Eric). She was an invaluable source of information for the Colosseum and the Forum. She calles me her "Catholic Encyclopedia" and I've dubbed her my "Roman Encyclopedia". She's brillant when it comes to this stuff.

The two of us could make the best tour guides of this city ever. And we're more entertaining than the old expats that usually do them.

Et en Arcadia ego. That's a classical mythology (and, strangely, the name of the university I do this program though), Poussin and Atwood reference. Get on my level, gentle readers (extra points if you can name that novel).

I also was able to see a friend from De, Rachel, this weekend. I'll have been here one month this Thursday and this was the first time I felt I actually had to see Rome. So Rachel came down from North of the Vatican and the Loyola program to Trastevere for the weekend flea market. Which was pretty cool. It's like Eastern Market on Italian crack. And then we got Pong and Rachel agrees, Pong is the best gelato in this whole city.

ALSO. I finally figured out why my street is named "Marconi" and I love off the Piazza della Radio. Marconi (The man) invented the radio! What what Italian inventors. I was p proud I figured that out/remembered that bit of 6th grade history class.

The rest of this week is devoted to the study part of this experience. I'm trying so hard to like my business classes, but, as usual, I hate them. Except, oddly, International Finance, which is the most interesting so far. Lame businesses classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment